Wednesday 7 September 2016

Synesthesia & cymatics

Synesthesia has always been something that's interested me. Looking at how the senses mix puts an emphasis on how closely connected our senses are. Sounds are associated with images in our heads in a way that pulls out memories whenever we hear something distinct enough. Synesthesia is a much more intense connection and I think it's interesting to think about how people with this trait must view movies. It's a great discussion to look at while looking at film aesthetics. Especially since, as filmmakers, we're often encourages to make sure all of our images and sounds are pleasing together.
Cymatics is something that I've heard of before mainly just as sensations on the internet. I've seen a few videos of adjusting pitches to make images in sand, but I mostly always thought of videos of paint on or above speakers so that the sound of a song made a physical image for viewers to look at. I love thinking about the idea of converting sound into a visual picture that can be looked at and even enjoyed to the same amount that the sound itself is.

No comments:

Post a Comment