Wednesday 14 September 2016

In response to "The Absolute Film"

I think the most important connection to take away from this article is that between the concept of absolute cinema and the dada art movement. Dadaism pretty much encompasses the creation of art just to be art, which is the same definition I took away from the descriptions about film in the article.
What seems to be really defining for absolute cinema itself is that it uses means only privy to the medium of film, which I think connects strongly to one of the generally accepted criteria in experimental film wherein the pieces drawn attention to their existence as film. This presentation of "absolute cinema" in conjunction with what I already know about experimental film created a more solid understanding of what it meant to make something experimental. Mainly, I think I can word it as making a film to just be a film instead of a story or a piece that makes a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment