Wednesday 24 August 2016

In response to "Amateur vs. Professional"

"Amateurs" was the title of the first set that I worked on. So seeing Maya Deren place a loving weight on the word feels extremely encouraging.
I can definitely connect with Deren's words about the intimidation that comes with being an "amateur" anything, whether that be a filmmaker or something else. It gets scary when you hear others around you talk about their long list of experience.
It's also interesting to think about the contrasting dynamics as you move further in the film world. Usually, as someone moves along in their field more and more opportunities open up for them. While I'm sure this still applies to film, Deren also seems to be describing another aspect of the film industry in which you sometimes have to stop working with just your friends on just projects you love with all your heart and start having to sometimes work with people you don't like on projects you don't completely love. It's not enough to make me feel like I dread what's coming, but it's enough to encourage me to enjoy my time as an "amateur".

No comments:

Post a Comment